[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving feasts

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 09:48:30 PST 2001

My mother won't let me be head cook for Thanksgiving, that's HER holiday, she
owns it as far as our family is concerned.   The meal was pretty pedestrian,
except for my early American type corn pudding, which was the only dish that was
entirely scarfed up.

My mom's best friend is from Austria and much of her family was there, I think
there were more Austrian nationals than US around the table.  The dinner was
pretty standard but the desserts were excellent!  A mocha-almond torte, an apple
strudel from home-made dough, and gingerbread from a boxed mix [my little
brother's addiction].

Our family's jello salad:  lime jello, shredded cabbage and carrot, small chunks
of whole apple, walnut pieces.

OK, just so I don't get accused of being a spoon-tease, here's the recipe I used
for the corn pudding.  It's much like one in Thomas Jefferson's book, with
saltines instead of bread crumbs, and if Jefferson had had canned corn he
probably would have used it.  Or canned it himself, probably.

Selene, Caid

Corn Pudding

 16 oz can whole kernal corn, drained
 16 oz can creamed corn
 1 cup milk
 3 beaten eggs
 1 tsp salt
 2 tsp sugar
 lots of pepper
 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
 butter - the size of an egg

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

 Grease a casserole dish.  Mix all ingredients except the butter in
 the casserole dish. Cut butter into pieces and dab around the top
 of the casserole.  Bake for 1 to 1-1/4 hours until pudding is set.
 Cool 10 minutes and then serve.