[Sca-cooks] scary foods

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 29 19:20:04 PST 2001

Steve wrote:

> --
> Master A, there is nothing to fear from Balut (Filipino embryonic duck
> eggs) they taste like duck soup.  The nasty Filipino food is Bagaoong which
> is a scary carnation pink preserved anchovy dish.
>
> ãduin

So, the fact that there's no _reason_ to fear a food is supposed to keep
people from fearing it? Hah-LO!?! ; ) If that were the case, why do we
have this thread? I appreciate the info, though; maybe some day I'll try
this if exposed to it in person. So far I haven't had the opportunity.

Note, though, that I recently posted a note regarding haggis from a
Reputable Journalist who admitted he'd never seen haggis, but was able
to describe it based on the opinons of other Reputable Journalists, with
no indication they had themselves ever seen haggis, but since they were
Reputable Journalists, their opinions were more reliable than my
account, after I'd seen, made, cooked and eaten haggis repeatedly.

  By the way, I really want to thank you; you have _no_ idea what it
meant to me to read your description of bagoong (my understanding was
that this was a cooking seasoning/condiment, like garum, rather than a
"dish", per se), without any mention on your part of the word
"fermented". Everybody knows you're _supposed_ to include a misuse of
the word "fermented" _whenever_ you are talking about an alien foodstuff
that is in any way aged. It makes it seem more icky that way; a
non-consumption devoutly to be wished, no?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com