[Sca-cooks] mandolines

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 12:15:25 PST 2001

Don't!  I have the same slicer.  My mother got it as a
wedding present in 1947.  We have used it ever since.
Ours is in great shape, still very sharp and never
needs sharpening.  The only problem with the slicer is
that you can't work too fast, because there is no
protection for your fingers.  I have the scars to
prove it.  I wouldn't give it up for any new-fangled
$150 mandoline that gets dull in a few weeks and
breaks after a year of use.  And I can do more than
just slice with it.  I can julienne and dice with it.
You just have to know how and be very careful.

Huette

--- Marilyn Traber <marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com>
wrote:

> Gee, I just have a little 7 dollar feemster slicer
> that my mom bought off
> the tv in the mid fifties. Just a blade on legs
> witha sliding platform that
> determines how thick your slice will be. If I want
> julienne, I make slices
> and then do the julienne thing, or the dice thing...
>

> now I feel deprived!
> margali

=====
shall never cease to be amused.