[Sca-cooks] Australian Torture toys - a gift to Olwen (OOP - some food content)

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:46:42 PST 2001

Hi All -

Well - I've just heard back from Olwen that the Parcel that I sent her has
indeed arrived.

It contained the usual bundle of stuff - strange Australian sweets (timtams;
caromello koalas etc); a copy of a book; some Aussie coins for Stocking
fillers and one or two Yowies...

Not realising that the US doesn't have such things as Kinder Surprise eggs
or their own equivilent, I failed to include a "How to" instruction booklet
for the Yowies, resulting in a *very* amusing recounting of Olwen's Trials &
Tribulations in finding out just what IS inside a Yowie....

To explain - A Yowie is a shaped & hollowed chocolate - sort of like a
chocolate easter egg.  Inside it is a small oval plastic egg.  This contains
the small parts of plastic that are constructed into a small replica of an
Australian Native animal or reptile - and a tiny information sheet on it
(very much a "Learn through play" toy).

Should I mention that the small plastic egg has a couple of small holes in
the ends (leading some people to think it's a toy that "Moos" or "chirps")
and that it's also very hard to open..... <wicked grin>

So in the future - if you ever receive a strange parcel from the Strange
Downunder - from the even Stranger Mari - please refer to the above as
"operating" instructions :-p

Mari
(oh - and as I've now discovered a local stockist of "Roo Poo" (local
variation of "Armadillo Droppings") they'll also be shipped along :-p