[Sca-cooks] "Soul food" that others can't stand...

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 30 17:57:03 PST 2001

Matjes herring, schmaltz herring, herring in cream sauce with onions (my
favorite), herring in wine sauce, chopped herring, whole filets of herring,
rollmops,  and that's just at the market down the block... (I live in a
Jewish neighborhood.)

If I go to a Scandinavian neighborhood, there's a different variety. Dad
used to eat it out of little cans from Denmark, but I haven't seen them for
a long time, and don't remember what they all were. He'd eat them on
pumpernickle or rye bread, with a cold beer, and occasionally ice cold
aquavit. (Literally - it was kept in the freezer.)

Anne