[Sca-cooks] And this just in...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 1 07:29:07 PDT 2001

Hullo, the list!

For those of you who need a warm message of personal encouragement, a
reinforcement of the triumph of the human spirit, on this dark and
chilly Monday morning, I submit the following True Fack...

My cousin Rosemary retired from her job as a stockbroker some years ago
at approximately age 35, and began to pursue her hobby of breeding and
training horses.

This past weekend, she entered some sort of horse in some sort of horse
show (details are sketchy on this, as this is not the main point of the
story) in Southhampton.

The show had several competent judges, and in addition, a celebrity judge.

Best In Show was taken by my cousin Rosemary's horse. The judges, even
the celebrity judge, were unanimous in their agreement. The time arrived
for the  obligatory photo opp with the horse, the owner, the trainer,
the rider, and the celebrity judge. The world, so to speak, waited
breathless.

The celebrity judge decided that she would like the photo to include her
patting the horse's muzzle affectionately as the shutter clicked. The
celebrity judge held out her hand, palm upward. Palm upward, I say, to a
horse, lemme git a witness.

The horse, thinking it was being offered a treat after a vigorous
workout, Bit the Hand that Did Not Feed It.

No skin was broken, nobody seriously hurt, the celebrity judge was
apparently highly offended and spoke at great length about ill-mannered
horses, and the polite suggestion was made that perhaps the celebrity
judge should learn a thing or two about equine behavior before
attempting to be a Celebrity Judge at any future horse shows.

Now, surely by now this incident is clouding over in your minds as yet
another difficult-to-follow story courtesy of That Guy From New York.
But in my family, this will live forever as The Day Rosemary's Horse Bit
Martha Stewart...

Adamantius (well, I expect the Reader's Digest wouldn't print it, and I
had to tell _somebody_)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com