[Sca-cooks] Re: Moose (OT)

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 09:35:28 PDT 2001

Alban said:
>That tall, eh? Makes me hope my convertible is short enough that I
could
go under, rather than attempt to go through. <

Yes, indeedy. Reminds me of the time we were driving up the road in the
White Mountains of NH.  Lead car in a string of several, with a
tailpipe-sucker tight to the bumper.
  Now, all of a sudden, a moose wanders out of the shrubbery, and cuts
across the road in front of us.  OK.
  THEN, Junior moose follows his mama - or would have, if we hadn't
been in the way. Now we've got a moose running on each side of the car.
Junior is just a wee bit taller than the Subaru, I can just see under
his belly. Mom is WAY taller than that.  We can't stop quick without
getting hit from behind, can't go faster than the Meeses without
hitting one of them, and were laughing hysterically.  My DH offered the
suggestion "just open the door and let him through"
We finally slowed down enough to pull behind Junior. He crosses, and
both of them disappear into the underbrush.  When we looked back, there
were cars scattered all over the road, the tail-sucker was hung up in a
swampy part, and NObody wanted to be the lead car any more.  No one
passed us all the way down the road, until we pulled into civilization
again.  We still refer to it as the "Moose-aru" incident.
OFC - we changed out of fishing gear at our motel and went out for
dinner to a very nice restaurant that specializes in Austrian food
(the Bernerhof, in Bartlett) .  They also have cooking classes.

Bethra

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
   Barony of Stonemarche        EK