[Sca-cooks] pine nut candy (and more)

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Mon Oct 1 09:57:13 PDT 2001

	  Olwen, we gotta go shopping some day!  You know all the cool
places.     BTW  - I saw some dates the other day stuffed with marzipan
(green marzipan).  Yum!

> Wow.  I just went to that site.  I must say, it seems expensive to me.
> Although I pay a few cents more for galangal root (I pay $1.80 for the cut
> root) I pay only $1.75 and ounce for cubebs as opposed to their $3.00; and
> get grains of paridise for $2.40 an ounce as compared to their $4.00.
> Makes
> me glad of something here in Baltimore, the dirty little city.
> Olwen

	  I had a 2nd tray of the Pine Nut candy at home, and finally got it
to set, unlike that one I brought to the cooks' guild meeting.  It's set,
but I wouldn't trust it to stay set, and it's too soft IMO.  Sooooo,
question for all you candy-makers:  The redaction I used (I think Maggie
Black) said to heat the mixture to 110c.  Isn't this waaaay too cool for
candy?  I don't even think it's in the "soft ball" stage at that point.
Has anyone made this candy, and what temperature do you heat it to?  Should
I treat it like normal candy, and if so, should I bring it to soft-ball, or
hard-ball temps?

	Thanks!
	Wrynne