[Sca-cooks] Growing saffron (was Isinglass).

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 16:53:49 PDT 2001

I did saffron one year in a window box.  I planted it in
the early fall, got one flower per bulb, then it got too
wet over the winter and the bulbs just sort of dissolved.
But had I kept them from getting so constantly wet, I think
it would have worked.  So you could experiment with a few
in a pot, and take them with you if/when you have to move.
You may not get enough to do much with, but at least you'll
have some pretty flowers.

Yes, it's a particular type of crocus.  It's not the common
spring-blooming stuff, but rather one of the fall crocuses.
 It'll often be advertised as "saffron crocus," and it's
probably not too late to look for it, at least at specialty
places (often the only places that carry it anyway).  Come
to think of it, I should be looking for some more now that
I'm not moving annually...

Dana/Ximena

--- phoenissa at netscape.net wrote:
> OK - I know that saffron comes from the crocus
> flower...is it from crocuses in general, or a specific
> variety?
> Then again, by the time my crocus plants are producing
> more than a few threads a year, I'll be off in grad
> school in who knows WHAT part of the world...maybe this
> wouldn't be so practical for me after all.  It still
> sounds really cool though!  I'd always assumed it was
> possible to grow one's own spices, of course, but I don't
> think I've ever met anyone who actually did it.  I'm
> rather impressed :-)
>
> Does anyone else here grow their own spices?  I'm sure
> many of us have herb gardens (I have a little pot of
> rosemary which refuses to grow), but what about more
> unusual things like saffron?  Any truly unique fruits or
> veggies?  I'm curious to know what's out there...and to
> see if any of it is worth planting in my small and weedy
> backyard :-)
>
> Vittoria the Inquisitive

=====
She takes us wanderers under her wing; sings us songs 'til the coming of the spring
Lifts our souls far into the night; fills our dreams with endless delight
Angel of Darkness, Angel of Mercy, take away the sorrow, take away the pain.
     (Angel of Bells -- J. Lapidus)