[Sca-cooks] acorns

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 4 20:59:27 PDT 2001

Finnebhir asked:
> Anyone have any recipes for acorns? I think they were eaten at some point,
> but I don't know for sure.

The American Indians ate them. I can't remember if the Europeans did
except in times of famine or not. They are bitter and the trick is
to soak the acorn meal to leach out the bitterness.

Anyeay, there is some info on acorns in this file in the FOOD section
of the Florilegium:
nuts-msg          (86K)  7/ 5/01    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/nuts-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net