[Sca-cooks] RE: Acorns

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 5 07:19:19 PDT 2001

They can be prepared as candied nuts like

the French prepare chestnuts. They can be

boiled them in several waters to leech out the

bitter tannins, roasted and then glazed.  I

tried this 30 years ago at Auburn when I found the

recipe in Euell Gibbons' STALKING THE WILD
ASPARAGUS.  There were
also recipes for acorn

bread and pancakes and various acorn meal uses.

Not all species are good to use.  Apparently the

white oak group species are known as "sweet acorns".

Gibbons claims that they were a staple food of

primitive man in Europe, though he has shown no

documentation.  Anyone have any?

Akim Yaroslavich

"No glory comes without pain"