[Sca-cooks] RE: Acorns

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Oct 5 07:23:50 PDT 2001

johnna holloway wrote:

> Diamond Randall wrote:
> >SNIPPED----
> > recipe in Euell Gibbons' STALKING THE WILD
> > ASPARAGUS. Gibbons claims that they were a staple food of
> > primitive man in Europe, though he has shown no
> > documentation.  Anyone have any?> Akim Yaroslavich
> Besides the actual recipe in the 15th century
> Beinecke manuscript (previous message on acorns),
> there are references to acorns in Ann Hagen's
> volumes on Anglo-Saxon foods. They were commonly
> famine foods
<snip>

Acorns are best known as pig food. You drive your hogs into the woods to
eat acorns, and then send out the teenaged boys to round them up when
it's butchering time. There is a plate in Tres Riches Heures showing the
pigs being herded- December, I think. For people to be eating them would
indicate serious hardship. Remember the Prodigal Son, who was reduced to
eating pig food? Rough life for a Jewish boy... ;-)

'Lainie