[Sca-cooks] Re: Chicken & pear stew ?

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 20:35:43 PDT 2001

>Ooooh; did I miss this recipe, or has it been posted (yet)?
> Please (re)post or send to me?  Pretty please with sugar on top?

>Dana/Ximena
--------
Greetings,

No, you haven't missed it. I just hadn't gotten that far yet <g>.

The original recipe is from "Ein Buch von Guter Spise," trans:  Alia
Atlas. I found it online.
"Recipe 30: Chicken and Pear Stew
30. Ein gut spise (A good food)

Nim hu:enre. die brat niht volle gar. entlide die zu morseln, und laz
sie sieden nur in smaltze und wazzers. und nim eine rinden brotes und
ingeber und ein wenic pfeffers und anis. daz mal mit ezzige. und mit
dem selben sodich in. und nim vier gebraten ku:ten. und daz condiment
dar zu. der hu:enren. laz ez wol da mit sieden. daz ez werde eben
dicke. hastu niht ku:ten so nim gebraten bieren und mach ez da mite.
und gibz hin und versaltz ez niht.
Take hens. Roast them, not very well. Tear them apart, into morsels,
and let them boil in only fat and water. And take a crust of bread and
ginger and a little pepper and anise. Grind that with vinegar and with
the same strength as it. And take four roasted quinces and the
condiment thereto of the hens. Let it boil well therewith, so that it
even becomes thick. If you do not have quinces, then take roasted pears
and make it with them. And give out and do not oversalt."
 She has a redaction, too, but it's not the one I used, I found this
one somewhere else - forget where and or who :-(
  This is the base recipe I used (I made it with about 22 pounds of
poultry parts, 5 times this one)

5 pounds chicken pieces (5 pounds =3 cups)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 can (14oz) chicken broth
   plus water to cover
4 pears, bosc
1 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
2  teapoons ground anise seed
salt to taste

  Somewhere, also, I came up with a different set of directions, too. I
forget where I found them, but my thanks to whoever posted them.
They're the ones I used.

"Heat oven to 350. Roast chicken for 10-15 minutes (it should not be
cooked through). Put the chicken, bones, skin and all, into a stock pot
with enough water to cover, and continue to cook until the chicken is
cooked all the way through and falls off the bones. Strain and reserve
the stock, and remove the chicken meat from the bones and skin. Add the
meat back to the stock and return the pot to the stove.
Place pears into a baking dish and roast for 45 minutes to an hour
until they are quite soft. When the pears are cool enough to handle,
remove the skins and cores (they should almost slip right off) and
coarsely chop the pears and add them to the chicken and stock.
 Add the vinegar and breadcrumbs and ground spices. Let everything
simmer together for an hour or so before serving."

 For the Dayboard I subbed out rice flour (stirred into a little cold
water to form a slurry) for the breadcrumbs, and apple cider vinegar
for the red to accommodate allergies.
  I cooked the chicken the week before and froze it in bags, and froze
the stock in milk jugs. Then I baked the pears on Tuesday and stuck
them in the fridge. Put it all together Friday about noonish, and
chilled it down on (lots of) ice till I got it to the site, about 6pm
Friday. Easy. (Except for tending two very full pots at the same time
<s>).

  Happy cooking,
Bethra

=====