[Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Fri Oct 5 17:05:02 PDT 2001

On Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:24:59 -0700 "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org>
writes:

>The idea of a Puritan persona could be kinda cool, though I can see
>two drawbacks: do you really want to wear very simple unrelieved black
and
>white for your SCA career?

    Lainie,

      I have a lovely colour photocopy of a painting of a Huguenot (ie.
French Calvinists) church service.  Lots of people are wearing black, but
the latter half of the sixteenth century had a fashion vogue for dark
colours.  And almost as popular in that print are red and pink.  I have
it for precisely these moments (grin!).  Sober dress does not necessarily
refer to colour.

    Reference your paragraph about the rest of their lives--it does apply
to the dress as well.  The Protestants of the late sixteenth-early
seventeenth century have a bad rep, I realize, but we tend to hear the
extreme arguements, not the vast middle.

   Elizabeth