[Sca-cooks] Digby's Cakes

CalicoJim1 at aol.com CalicoJim1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 19:29:31 PDT 2001

Hi guy's,
 I was trying this tonight and the cakes came out extremely well.  But I have
a question or two.  I found the amount of currants to be twice as much as was
neccessary (at least to my taste) I was wondering if that was a misprint or
if I should really try the reciepe with 3 cups of currants.  Also I was
wondering about the frosting well now that I've mentioned it frosting in
general.  I don't usually do cakes.  Don't like to eat them so I rarely bake
them.  So what kind of frosting can I use and does anyone have any info on
frosting.  Thanks -- Calico

Excellent Small Cakes Revisited
by Tirloch of Tallaght
3 c flour
3/4 c sugar
3 c currants or baking raisins
1 3/4 sticks butter
4 T cream
1 egg yolk
1 T nutmeg
2 t sherry For icing the cakes, I also experimented with Duke Cariadoc's
redaction. I
changed it from 1/3 c of sugar to use 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and enough
water
so you can spread it on the cakes as soon as they come out of the oven.
Powdered
sugar will dissolve faster in warm water. A pastry brush is good for painting
each cake with the sugar glaze. -Tirloch of Tallaght