[Sca-cooks] Re: Wode-ing

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 14:37:47 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/8/01 1:04:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com writes:

<< Isn't Woad the blue stuff the Scottish berserkers put on their face to make
 thiem hallucinate and become more aggressive in battle?

 Actually wode *paint* was used by more than just the Picts (not Scots
alone). The Vikings used it, the Celts used it. And it isn't used for just
body paint alone. The powder can be used to dye cloth, fingers, and anything
else porous that it comes into contact with.

There is a chemical in wode that causes a numbing/tingling sensation when
used on large patches of skin. Hence why the berserkers used it. You can't
feel when someone hits you with a large heavy/bladed object. Nowadays, we use
cheap alcohol to mix it with. Rubbing alcohol so it dries fast.

To mix it  use a mortal and pestle for a finer powder and add liquid medium a
little a t a time to get the best consistancy. My Warband made enough wode to
paint the 6 of us for the Known World Pirate Party for PennsicXXX this year.
Lots of fun having someone else paint on me.

Finnebhir