[Sca-cooks] woad

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 8 20:19:32 PDT 2001

Misha asked:
> Isn't Woad the blue stuff the Scottish berserkers put on their face to make
> thiem hallucinate and become more aggressive in battle?

I don't know about the Scots, barbaric as some of them were. :-) The
Picts are the ones I've heard this about. However, another viewpoint
on this is that the patterns (for the Picts) were tatooes and not
woad.

Also, the woad is not hallucinogenic. For more info on this, including
a source for imported powdered woad, check this file in the PLANTS,
HERBS AND SPICES section:
woad-msg          (49K) 12/30/99    History of woad. Making dyes from woad.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/woad-msg.html

And in PERSONAL CARE:
tattoos-msg       (41K) 10/21/99    Period tatoos. Hand and body decoration.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/tattoos-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net