[Sca-cooks] Re: Golden Eggs

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 09:50:40 PDT 2001

Greetings

I served Golden Eggs at my Dayboard for  EK Coronation 2 weekends ago.
If that's what she's looking for, this is a copy of the information I
have, and the 'recipe' I used.  I ran out of these, and had several
requests for the recipe.  I got it from the List earlier this year.
Hope this helps,
Bethra
================
My email shows that the Recipe came from Lady Sarah. I'll cut'n'paste
it here:
- --------------------
Here's all I know about:

Golden Eggs or Sweet Pickled Eggs

apple cider vinegar - 2 parts
Dk Brown sugar - 1part
water - 2 parts
pickling spice - 1 teaspoon per Quart of  liquid
Cinnamon Stick - 3 per Gal
Whole Cloves - 8 per Gal.
Saffron - optional - sm pinch per Qt
Hard boiled eggs, peeled

Combine and bring to gentle boil all ingredients except eggs. Remove
from heat and pour over hard boiled eggs in glass jar. Cover with
cheese cloth and refrigerate for one day. Drain and add new liquid on
second day, usually ready to serve on third day. Will keep longer with
no trouble but, will continue to get darker and stronger. This is all
variable
according to your tastes. I wanted the eggs sweeter and with more
cinnamon and
clove flavor than regular pickled eggs.
 I have had problems with the eggs developing a dark gray color which I
suspect is coming from the sulfur gas released by the eggs. I am
attempting to reduce some of that by covering with cheese cloth instead
of the jar lid. Let me know how it works for you.  I have found it
helpful to obtain a more even color to pack the jars loosely so the
eggs can move and to shake them around a couple of times a day to
change their positions and give them a chance to color evenly.
The color does not go as deeply into the whites as beet juice does but
the flavor does, especially if they sit for more than a week. Longer
pickling gives you something quite different. The eggs get very dark
with a gray cast (sulfur?) and a much more rubbery consistency and the
flavor changes and is very much less eggy. Not bad, but not sure many
would find it appealing? Hope this arrives in time to be useful and all
goes well for you, would be very interested in knowing your results!

Lady Sarah

- -----
- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise