[SCA-Cooks] Marzipan 8 track tapes

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 14 08:33:32 PDT 2001

> > do you think limiting the size of the feast to less than half of the
> > projected attendance will cause much wailing and gnashing of the teeth?

There are some who will ALWAYS wail and gnash - which should be a lesson for
them to get their reservations in earlier!

I think it makes sense, as long as there are a number of places nearby at
which people can go out for eating.  Be sure to have a clear list and good
map at the gate for people to pick up, and be sure to keep some on hand
through the day as some people will decide they don't need it until later,
or they will lose it, or whatever.

Also, if you take a waiting list of people for released/uncollected tickets,
publicize widely the time at which the tickets will be released, and STICK
TO IT.  There is nothing more annoying or disheartening than having the
waiting list called at 5:00pm, by which time many people are already going
offsite with friends, and then the hall is not full, and people coming back
say "well, I had wanted to eat feast but you didn't say anything before I
left....."  Later releases can also add to chaos when the hall is being set
up, depending upon how things are done (it's traditional where I now live to
have everything in one cavernous room people set up at table from a very
early hour).  I think no later than 3:00pm is good, with people warned that
if they are not going to be onsite before then to have friends do the
pickup.

Personally, I don't think cooks should be required to provide food for all
unless the site is so remote that other options are unavailable.  And then a
two-tier plan might be optimal (it also gives people with food problems,
small children, etc., the flexibility to join the festivities but not be
faced with many dishes or a long service).

                                        ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                             (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)