[Sca-cooks] Sieggy's feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 15 23:12:38 PDT 2001

Sieggy gave the menu of his upcoming feast:

> Bread, fruit, butters - T:0 (feast begins)
>  Manchet, apple butter, prune butter, hazelnut butter, whipped butter,

prune butter??? Is this pulped prunes? Or prunes mixed into butter?

> herbed cheese, pickled vegetables (on table)
>
> Soup - T + 10 (10)
>  Mushroom & leek
>
> Fowl Course - T + 25 (15)
>  Chicken with peppers, olives, and tomatoes

peppers? Or is this meant to be a late period feast? What
type of pepper? Recipe?

>  Cauli verdi

And this is?

>  Couscous with olive oil & bitter oranges
>  Cucumbers in yogurt
>
> Appetizer - T + 50 (25)
>  Roasted garlic spread

Have you found any evidence for roasted garlic in period? We've
discussed this previously, but I don't think anyone came up with
any evidence of garlic being roasted in period. I like roasted
garlic. I'd love to have evidence of its use in period.

>  Pita bread
>
> Meat  Course - T + 65 (15)
>  Medallions of pork in sorrel sauce
>  Braised green beans & pears
>  Bashed neeps
>  Beet salad
>
> Appetizer - T + 90 (25)
>  Pomegranate sorbet

Sounds interesting. Again, any proof of this being done
before 1600? Recipe? I've got pomegranate juice. I might
want to try this.

>  Sweet Waffres

Whose recipe/redaction? I've had mixed success with various
redactions.

> Fish Course - T + 105 (15)
>  Turbot poached in almond milk w/ crabmeat stuffing

This sounds good.

>  Basmati rice w/ rosewater
>  Stir fried vegetables w/ cashews

Anyone know if cashews were period to the Middle East or
Europe?

> Dessert - T + 130 (25)
>  Peach oatmeal coffins w/ clotted cream

This sounds like a good combination.

> Drink
>  Sekanjabin - Sweet Tea - Faux Hippocras - Water

Sounds like an interesting feast. Certainly more complex than
most I've had here in Ansteorra.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net