[Sca-cooks] comfits?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 16 10:03:04 PDT 2001

well, Magdalena points out I don't ask enough questions...

Here's one.
I'm experimenting with making comfits. For my first batch, I didn't get
the heat high enough, and the second batch, it was too high, but I did get
most of the seeds mostly covered with sugar. (I was starting from the
instructions Gwen Cat put up for her feast, at:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASnovfeast.htm )

But instead of being white, the sugar is sort of off-grey. Is this a
sign of crystallizing? Did I cook the sugar too long? When you heat the
syrup, is the idea to increase the temperature gradually or just get to
the soft-ball stage as soon as possible? I used both enamel and stainless
steel pots, it didn't seem to make a difference.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa