[Sca-cooks] comfits?

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Tue Oct 16 12:04:02 PDT 2001

I was just teasing you, you know :P

My initial thought was to ask if you'd used cast iron, but I reread and
saw that you didn't.  Metal or other chemical content in the water could
have affected it, but I don't know Lehigh Valley water to be all that
bad.  Have you tried it using bottled water, particularly distilled?

I've never done comfits, but I've done plenty of candy type things and
I've never had the sugar turn grey.  If you burned it, it would turn
brown then black.  The black part would stick to the bottom, and if you
stirred it in hard, it would come up in flecks or goops.  But, you would
have smelled it before it turned black.  Pee-yoo.  I slightly burned
sugar for cashew brittle a few months ago, didn't quite scorch it but it
started to brown.  Boy was it stinky.

Heating the sugar slowly helps you avoid burning it or boiling it over.
  In addition to making it hot, you're busy driving out most of the
water.    Basically, you add water to dissolve the sugar, and as the
solution gets hotter, it can hold more sugar - or, you can drive out
more water relative to the constant sugar content.  But, you don't want
to drive out *all* the water (thus you don't want to boil it violently.)
  That's when it begins to recrystalize.  The remaining water content
determines the stage.  It gets driven out at a different rate depending
on the temperature, but as long as it's not hot enough to burn it
quicker than you can stir it, it shouldn't make a difference.

Did the texture turn out correctly?  I wonder if maybe you didn't quite
reach soft-ball, the extra water could have affected it.

Dumb question:  How did you keep the syrup in the pan from burning while
you were busy futzing with the seeds and spoonsful of syrup?  Did you
take it off the burner?  If so, how did you keep it from cooling while
you were working?

-M