[SCA-Cooks] Armadillo Droppings (OOP)

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 06:40:40 PDT 2001

> > Well, of course it's out of period but someone brought in a box of Texas
> > Armadillo Droppings in the most amusing little box.  They are dark
pralines
> > and made in Austin Texas.  Anybody ever tried em?  Really they are very
good
> > and quite amusing.
>
> I've not heard of these. However, I will look around and see what I can
> find. We were looking for Armadillo meat for Gunthar a while back. If
> you can find out the name of the company that made these, that would
> help. There are one or two local candy companies, such as Lamm's (sp?).
>
> If I can find these maybe I'll include them in my goodie boxes to go
> out to some of you for various things and the treat exchange.

Stefan, they are basically the same as Lamm's candies (to others, they are
called "Texas Chewies"), but made by another company.  I see them all the
time in the aeroport gift shops (yes, even now, I fly).  I think the box is
light gold - Olwen, am I remembering correctly?  I don't think the
individual pieces are labeled, though, just the box or container.  You might
also find them at the Texas things shops at malls.

We used to get Lamm's all the time as kids (living in the Hill Country of
Texas), and I still think they are THE BEST, even without a funny name.  The
rule was, we could not eat them in the car on the way home from the shop
(our uncle indulged us), because we got so sticky!  Most of the time they
are in dark green boxes, although the ones on the website posted to the list
are yellow with decorative printing, and they also do the Chocodillos on the
same site, but those are not the "Armadillo Droppings" that Olwen found.

Pretty much the candies are all the same - a praline made with whole pecan
halves.  So the link posted by BaronessaIlaria at aol.com would actually be
pretty close to the candy.

                      ---= Morgan (Texan before Ansteorra was cool)

"What this country has needed for a long time is to kick butt."
                                                     ---=  Lewis Grizzard