[Sca-cooks] Safety of homemade hand-cream?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 29 18:35:22 PST 2001

This is perhaps a little off-topic, but most of the ingredients are
foodstuffs, and I'm hoping someone here would know.

I'm planning to redact a recipe for a pomade (hand-cream) from the
_Manual de Mugeres_.  You start by simmering lard, rosewater, a
clove, and a quarter of an apple until the water is all gone.  Then
you add in various nut/seed oils and some wax, strain out the
apple and clove, and let cool.

I know that there are sometimes problems with homemade
cosmetics being a breeding-ground for bacteria.  How long is such
a mixture likely to be safe at room remperature?  Can I safely
make it in advance of an event, and keep it in the fridge until
needed?  Knowledgeable advice will be much appreciated.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net