[Sca-cooks] pine nut candy (and more)

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 15:17:57 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/1/2001 11:06:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com writes:

> I had a 2nd tray of the Pine Nut candy at home, and finally got it
> to set, unlike that one I brought to the cooks' guild meeting.  It's set,
> but I wouldn't trust it to stay set, and it's too soft IMO.  Sooooo,
> question for all you candy-makers:  The redaction I used (I think Maggie
> Black) said to heat the mixture to 110c.  Isn't this waaaay too cool for
> candy?  I don't even think it's in the "soft ball" stage at that point.
> Has anyone made this candy, and what temperature do you heat it to?  Should
> I treat it like normal candy, and if so, should I bring it to soft-ball, or
> hard-ball temps?
>
>     Thanks!
>     Wrynne

The recipes I have found (mostly in Forme of Curry) specify the soft-ball
stage.  I believe the exact wording is something like that the candy will not
stick to the spoon but easily rolls around in it.

I have found that bringing it to about 230 if you used solid ingredients
(like a raspberry puree) and 250 if you used a juice or extract for your
flavoring gives the best setup and texture to the candy.  If you are going
for the higher temp (250) stir constantly or you will end up burning the pine
nuts on the bottom of the pan.

Constance de la Rose