[Sca-cooks] pine nut candy (and more)

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 1 16:44:44 PDT 2001

"Dunbar, Debra" wrote:
>I had a 2nd tray of the Pine Nut candy at home, and finally got it
> to set, unlike that one I brought to the cooks' guild meeting.  It's set,
> but I wouldn't trust it to stay set, and it's too soft IMO.  Sooooo,
> question for all you candy-makers:  The redaction I used (I think Maggie
> Black) said to heat the mixture to 110c.  Isn't this waaaay too cool for
> candy?  I don't even think it's in the "soft ball" stage at that point.
> Has anyone made this candy, and what temperature do you heat it to?  Should
> I treat it like normal candy, and if so, should I bring it to soft-ball, or
> hard-ball temps?     Thanks!         Wrynne
This is the same recipe PAYN RAGOUN that Pleyn Delit
cites as its recipe 131. Their version says its a soft
"fudge-type" candy. They say cook until it reaches 235
degrees or soft ball stage. They use more sugar and pine
nuts than Black's version does. You might look their
version up and compare it to Black's version.

Johnnae llyn Lewis Johnna Holloway