[Sca-cooks] Samhain/Halloween food

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 1 18:36:31 PDT 2001

Angus wrote:

> <snip>
> >But I
> >thought that was easier than double-dipping the
> >nutter butter cookies into white chocolate and
> >making them into ghosts.
> >
> >Johnnae llyn Lewis Johnna Holloway
>
> Now I'm confused.  I thought white chocolate didn't melt.
Is there some trick to it or is it just that white chocolate
don't melt as quick as the darker ones and thus survives
brief periods in an oven, say 3-5 minutes, grated and
 sprinkled over fruit?
> /Angus

I did this three years ago and as I recall I used
block white chocolate...I don't think that it was
summer coating. They tasted like white chocolate
coated nutter butters. With iced faces... We found that
in order to get the nutter butters covered so that
they looked white you had to dip them once...let them
dry and then redip them for a second coat.

See: http://www.geocities.com/hickschicksk/Hallorecipes.htm
for something close to what I did. My recipe came
out of one of the Halloween magazines out that year.

White chocolate melts; you just have to be very careful
because it can burn easily. I think that we did it in
small chunks in the microwave and kept it at dipping
temperature suspended in a bowl over a bowl of hot water.

Hope this helps. Johnna