[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #693 - 22 msgs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 1 19:11:59 PDT 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>

>>Yes, somewhat like a bagna cauda, except this cooks more slowly than any
>>bagna cauda I've ever seen, and it isn't really meant to be eaten hot
>>(although you could, I suppose). This is intended more as a
>>preparation/preserve for keeping, rather than for immediate consumption.
>>My feeling is that if it's for immediate consumption, why not include
>>the anchovy ;  )  ?
>>

> Oh.  The recipe we have/use calls for the bagna cauda to be cooked in the oven for a couple of hours.  How long would the confit cook?
>
> Kiri

Ah. Call it about 45 minutes to an hour, at my best recollection, or until the garlic is soft but not brown. If you're using the garlic as part of a batch of confit de canard or some such, it would probably cook longer, and yes, frequently in the oven.  We used to heat the garlic in the oil (in a large saucepan) until the surface of the cloves had just begun to blister a bit, but not brown, then we'd put the pan up on the plate-warmer/saute pan storage shelf up above the stove top. All the bagna cauda recipes I've encountered previously have cooked fairly quickly. Let me see if I can find what looks like a typical recipe; I remember thinking that some of the recipes I'd seen posted here were rather unusual, with their butter and comparatively long cooking times.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com