[Sca-cooks] roasted cubebs

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Tue Oct 2 20:54:15 PDT 2001

>> . . . and I vaguely remember a reference to cubeb cigaretts, for those who
>> didn't want to smoke tobacco. I think.
>
>Is this a period referance? And if so, I don't imagine you have a
>referance for this, do you?

No, it wasn't; I think the reference (if my memory works) was in
a book by Owen Johnson, The Lawrenceville Stories, a book of
stories concerning boys, errr, young gentleman at a boarding/prep
school before WW I. It was, ummm, the Tennessee Shad who
had made a bet that he could walk around the quad and be
seen by the Evil Enemy the Faculty to be smoking a cigarette. . .

(Jeez, what a memory I have. . . )

Alban