[Sca-cooks] What class would you teach/take?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Oct 3 07:45:38 PDT 2001

>> And you _really_ don't know how many times I've kicked myself for
>> forgetting to bring my own alternatives . . .
>Ooo, examples please?  I'm all ears.  This is an area I've been trying
>to improve in.

I believe Morgan has much more knowledge of this than do I; I just
checked my files and nearly all of them concern, for some odd reason,
alcoholic beverages (odd in that I don't drink alcohol; Lord knows why
I like making them). Most of the non-alcohlic stuff I've come across have
been variations on  Syrop of <fruit>, basically reduced juices that are
then mixed with appropriate spices and added to water. Some have been
sekunjabins that aren't mint but rather, oh, lemon, or orange, or some such.
And then there's ginger beer; Master Gerald Goodwine, in Calontir, had
one such recipe for a non-alcoholic g.b. that was absolutely wonderful,
zero proof, and quite refreshing. And I don't have the recipe, dammit.

And fruit ciders, of course; some would be drunk then and there,
I'd think, and some stored for later <hic> consumption. . . Dunno how
many people would drink un-proofed perry or such, but apple cider
fresh off the trees could be quite a refreshing drink when you're in
the middle of the fall hay harvest.

Alban