[Sca-cooks] Treacle?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Oct 3 15:09:08 PDT 2001

Heloise asked:
> How easily found is treacle in, say, southeastern
> Pennsylvania?  I've never tried it but I have recipes
> that call for it.  I've also heard that treacle nicely
> replaces molasses for some heavy-duty gingersnaps!

For some info on different types of sugar and the equivalents for
the names in England/Europe vs. the US or Australia, check this
file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
sugar-msg        (107K)  6/13/01    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-msg.html
And here are some sources if you don't have a particular type
of sugar locally:
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-sources-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net