[Sca-cooks] What class would you teach/take?

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Wed Oct 3 16:49:32 PDT 2001

Regarding butchering...

If you need to learn how, I'm available.  Actually, I think it could be fun
to teach a class.  So, if anyone hears this, let me know, I'm offering :-)

I can do both big beasts and small critters.  The largest I've done is a
whole cow by myself.  The smallest is quails.  Chickens, ducks, rabits etc
are easy.  Turkey too (for large quantities, I like to actually bone the
turkey, roast breasts off the carcass, and legs by themselves.  Gives you a
much greater control of cooking levels, *and* it goes much, much
faster.  If there is a need for fancy presentation, then I roast one whole
turkey to present.  Rabits, I cut so both the "rable" (back muscles
equivalent to the strip loin on beef) are held together.  Great for making
stuffed rolls.  Quails, you can bone without a knife and serve
stuffed.  Nice touch for them not to have bones.  Turkey and chicken, you
can bone without making a cut outside, so the bird remains in one piece.

As for legality of it...  In most places, it is perfectly legal to butcher
your own, as long as you are not *selling* it.  It is generally illegal to
slaughter your own.  This of course varies with the various state health
and hygiene department, would have to be looked into with Pensylvania's
board/department.  Easy enough.

Food for thoughts :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire