[Sca-cooks] What class would you teach/take?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Oct 3 14:38:48 PDT 2001

>> And then there's ginger beer; Master Gerald Goodwine, in Calontir, had
>> one such recipe for a non-alcoholic g.b. that was absolutely wonderful,
>> zero proof, and quite refreshing. And I don't have the recipe, dammit.
>
>Non-alcoholic beer is not period. Small beer, with a small amount of
>alcohol is period. Zero proof can't be made with yeast, unless you
>artificially remove the alcohol.
It was a long time ago, and I may have misremembered the name; it
was a ginger something-or-other. . . but still quite delicious, and proof-free.

>> And fruit ciders, of course; some would be drunk then and there,
>> I'd think, and some stored for later <hic> consumption. . .
>
>Funny, I thought the authenticists believed that nobody ever drank fruit
>juice unfermented.
I'm not that much of an authenticist. I'm also thinking that when you're
in the middle of harvest, you'll drink anything, even if it were unfermented
- and, hey, with all those apples around, why not?

>All of those drinks are also high in sugar, too.
Well, errrr, ahhh, ummm. Yup. Darn. <sigh> Back to water for me.

Alban