[Sca-cooks] Re: Soap (recipe source)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 3 22:54:38 PDT 2001

Dana/Ximena replied to me about her translations of the
Manual de mugeres with the following. I'm commenting here rather than
by email because this may be useful to anyone sending me an article
in the future.

> Oh, OK, maybe I should nudge that up a little on the daily
> "to do" list, then.  Put it BEFORE "Learn Portuguese."

Please do. As I mentioned, I think have this manuscript translated
would be a wonderful resource to many people.

> Stefan, what turns out most readable?  I had in mind doing
> each recipe with its own footnotes and comments; is that
> best?  Or should I gather all the footnotes at the end to
> avoid repetition?

This may depend upon just how much repetition there is and how
long the total document is. If the document is too long, scrolling
down to the bottom of the document to read the footnote is a pain.
If a footnote is unique to a particular recipe, then this particularly
seems like a waste. One way is to assume the document will be looked
at top to bottom (yeah, right) and put the footnote where it first
occurs and then referance back to that point anywhere else it occurs.

Please do NOT use the footnote feature in Word. This does not
translate to HTML, even when I use Word to create the HTML. I have to
go through by hand and convert each footnote to text, both where it
occurs and where the footnote is, being careful to get the right
number at the right place. For Lady Brighid's translation of
Ruperto de Nola’s 1529 "Libre del Coch", this took a Long time
since there were well over one hundred footnotes. :-(

> Also, I expect you'd like the special
> characters (accents, etc.) replaced with ordinary ones in
> the originals?

Yes, please. I think someone mentioned putting a colon after the
character to indicate umlats. That kind of stuff should work well,
if that is some kind of standard.

I can add the fonts on my machine that will show the non-standard
characters. However, the folks that read the Florilegium are using
a wide variety of machines and browsers and may download the HTML,
the RTF or the text version of a file. They may not have access to
or even be able to add the special fonts to their machines. So that
is why I would prefer that non-standard characters not be used.

Thank you, again.
   Stefan
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net