[Sca-cooks] Hungry

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Oct 5 11:06:43 PDT 2001

>   Since this incident we've been using our combination
> convection/microwave oven.  Frankly, I'm sick and tired of half cooked,
> over cooked, and partially cooked food.  Does anyone have any tips for
> making Real Food (tm) in a convection oven or microwave?  For some
> reason the convection oven likes to toast the top of food and leave the
> bottom end undercooked.  Recipes would also be appreciated.

We have an old Jenn-aire that works as both a conventional and
convection oven.  I've taken to using the convection feature for almost
everything.  The only time I didn't like the results was when I baked
challah on a pizza stone.  The stone took too long to heat up, and the
bottom of the loaves didn't brown nicely.  I don't know if that was the
fault of the stone or the oven, though.  I've used it for roasting
cornish game hens and larger chickens, baking cookies and bread,
roasting vegetables, baking meals like vegetarian shepherds pie and
stuffed peppers.

I reduce the cooking time by 10-25%, depending on the item.  Actually, I
set my timer for the lower amount time and start checking the item then,
unless I've made it before and I know how long it takes.  I cover things
that are likely to dry out from the air circulation with aluminum foil
or a lid.  That has been mostly the veggie things.  I leave things like
chicken and bread uncovered, and they quickly form a nice crust or
crispy skin that keeps them from drying out.  You might try using
flat-ish pans for most things, which will help the air circulate around
the entire item.  I roast chickens in a 1.5-2" deep casserole dish
rather than a deep roaster.

>   Also, does anyone have any suggestions for features to look for in a
> new stove?

I never thought I'd say I like an electric stove... but I love and
highly recommend Jenn-aire.  Mine is an old one, so I don't know if the
same features are available anymore.  But, it's well worth looking.
Instead of coil burners it has solid cast-iron or cast-aluminum burners
which heat up evenly.  The burners come in cartridges of two burners,
one sits in the left hand side of the stove top and one in the right.
You can remove either side and put in an element with a griddle or
grill.  The whole darned thing comes apart for cleaning.  As I said
above, the oven is either regular or convection.  The fan and vent are
in the middle of the stovetop, so you don't need a hood.

The only annoyance I've had is I can't seem to buy the same kind of
burner cartridge anymore, at least not as an added accessory.  My stove
came with the house, and it had only one burner cartridge and the
griddle.  I was desperate for four burners, but the only cartridge my
mother-in-law could find for me has the coil burners on a stainless
steel surface instead of the solid cast-iron set on black glass.  So,
currently I have two awesome burners and two regular electric coil
burners, which is better than only two, but it's just not what I
wanted.  So, if anybody runs across a set with the solid burners, I'm in
the market!!

-Magdalena