[Sca-cooks] RE: Acorns

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Oct 5 17:18:33 PDT 2001

Was written:

Apparently the

>white oak group species are known as "sweet acorns".
>
>Gibbons claims that they were a staple food of
>
>primitive man in Europe, though he has shown no
>
>documentation.  Anyone have any?

Go to the definitive book on edible nuts, "The Book of Edible Nuts" by
Fredric Rosengarten, Jr.

Pages 265 to 269

Two types bitter and sweet, white oak acorns (Quercus alba) found in North
America are sweet.  The European evergreen oak, (Quercus ilex) has selected
Spanish and Portugese varieties which are sweet and imilar to chestnuts in
food value and taste.  They are the belotas of Don Quixote.  If you check
back I believe I provided more information in our past discussion on swine.

Daniel Raoul

MKA Dan Phelps,  who briefly roomed at Duke in the graduate center with a
large blond forestry graduate student named Steve Oak called oddly enough,
Quercus alba.