[Sca-cooks] Canadian Friends

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 7 17:58:47 PDT 2001

The first Presidentially proclaimed Thanksgiving Day was Nov. 26, 1789 by
George Washington.  Lincoln revived the custom in 1863.  Franklin Roosevelt
set Thanksgiving Day as the fourth Thursday in November at the urging of
Fred Lazarus, Jr. (Federated Dept. Stores).  A number of states made
Thanksgiving an official holiday, and in 1941 it was made a National Holiday
by Act of Congress.

Bear