[Sca-cooks] The Puritans

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Oct 7 13:01:51 PDT 2001

Greetings.
I am sorry that the libraries in your area
have failed you, Elizabeth. As a librarian
with an undergrad degree in history (my
senior honors course was on Tudor/Stuart
Women), I can see where you might like to
read more from Stubbes than excerpts.
Stubbes and his
anatomie/anatomy should be available to you
in a printed format. There have been a number
of reprints in hardback, including one in-print
110.00 dollar one that is currently available
by special order. Here are two editions.

Philip Stubbes. THE ANATOMIE OF ABUSES. printed
in London by R. Jones in 1583.
New York : Walter J. Johnson Incorporated,
in 1972 as part of the series titled
English Experience Ser.; No. 489;
ISBN: 9022104893 Trade Cloth;
At least 100 libraries report owning this volume.

Another edition is titled: The anatomy of abuses,
by New York, Johnson Reprint Corp., 1972.
at least 51 libraries report owning this edition.

If you want to read it in full, I'd suggest the
Walter Johnson edition.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Elizabeth A Heckert wrote:
>      There is a *lovely* book called *The Anatomy of Abuses*  by a man
> whose last name is Stubbs, and I believe his first name is Phillip.
 the only way I've