[Sca-cooks] Digby's Cakes

Tom Bilodeau tirloch at cox.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 04:31:38 PDT 2001

HI,

I don't prick the cakes before baking them. I found that the cakes stayed a
"uniform"
height when I didn't prick them.  I also have found currants to be a
hard-to-find item
in my local grocer; hence I tried and found that the cakes stayed a mot moister
when I
used baking raisins.  I also usually get the 3 cups of raisins in a batch.

I do cheat a bit nowadays.  As these cakes are popular in Atlantia, I rarely
make a single
batch at a time.  The Kitchenaid will do 2 batches easily.

I interpreted the Icing to be more of a glaze than the frosting we are more
accustomed to. I once forgot the sherry (or sack) in the cakes and so I added it
to the glaze.  Those Digbys were gone in a flash as folks ate
them with a relish.

Adding water and powdered sugar to make an opaque glaze -- I then use a pasty
brush to cover the top of
the cakes as soon as they are out of the oven. With the cakes still hot, the
icing locks into cakes very nicely.
I usually wait about 20-30 minutes for the cake to cool on wire racks and then I
can put them into plastic bags for transport.

Tirloch