[Sca-cooks] Digby's Cakes

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sun Oct 7 22:39:46 PDT 2001

Hi,

I also find that I can't quite get the amount of currants in, but only by a
couple of handsfull. Did you prick the biscuits as per the recipe, as that
makes the dough rise a lot more, and the finished biscuits can hold more
currants.

I translate 'ice' in a different sense to our modern icing, by dusting them
with sugar. I haven't found (or know anyone that has) any references to what
they actually meant by icing, which doesn't help any of us :-(

Glenda.

[a while ago, while baking a batch of these biscuits (200 or so), I had a
bit of a production line going, with my husband's help with the biscuit
pricking. The next tray-full was ready for pricking, it was late at night,
and I was tired. I held the forks out to him and (slightly tersely,
probably) gave the command "Prick". His reply, a slightly camp "Bitch", had
me nearly rolling on the floor with laughter, relieving the tensions of the
seemingly endless biscuit making wonderfully, and becoming a kitchen
tradition in Villa Robinsonii]