[Sca-cooks] SUGAR ICING/1591

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 8 09:25:32 PDT 2001

  So what kind of frosting can I use and does anyone have any info on

Greetings to the list from Johnnae llyn Lewis

	A BOOK OF COOKRYE by A. W. which was published
by Edward Allde in 1591
 contains the following recipe for a sugar-icing...

On page 29 at the end of a recipe for "a good Marchpaine":

" Or ever that you bake it you must cast on it fine Sugar
and Rosewater that will make it look like Ice."

It was as Adamantius suggested a recipe found at the end
of another recipe, although it is in this case found at
the end of a marchpaine recipe and not for that of a fine
or excellent cake.

There are several 17th century recipes; I will post a
selection of those later.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway