[Sca-cooks] Digby's Cakes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 8 04:42:52 PDT 2001

Glenda Robinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I also find that I can't quite get the amount of currants in, but only by a
> couple of handsfull. Did you prick the biscuits as per the recipe, as that
> makes the dough rise a lot more, and the finished biscuits can hold more
> currants.
>
> I translate 'ice' in a different sense to our modern icing, by dusting them
> with sugar. I haven't found (or know anyone that has) any references to what
> they actually meant by icing, which doesn't help any of us :-(

In general, the icing is a glazing of sugar reheated in the oven to fuse
it. This can be done by either dusting the cake with a thickish layer of
finely-beaten sugar, or in other cases by spreading a sort of paste
(kind of a super-saturated, uncooked syrup) of sugar and water,
rosewater  or other perfume-ey distilled water, on the cake when it is
very nearly done. Then you put the cake back in the oven until the icing
melts and covers the cake with a thin, crunchy (at least when cool)
layer of candy.

I think the problem with researching this topic is that instructions for
icing a cake tend to be within a cake recipe, while there are few, or
perhap no, recipes specifically for icing a cake, at least in the
sources I've looked at.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy