[Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends

Gwynydd Of Culloden gwynydd_of_culloden at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 11:15:20 PDT 2001

*laugh* This puts me in mind of a Quaker funny (if that doesn't seem too
contradictory) from a book called "Laughter in Quaker Grey".  To put this
into context, the origin of dark colours for Quakers had to do with not
wanting to follow fashion which dictated brightly coloured fabrics.

At a time when dark colours were in fashion, a Quaker woman went to a fabric
store to buy some material for a new dress.  Seeing that she was a Quaker,
the assistant brought out all the usual drab colours for her approval.
Looking at them, the Quaker cried out "take away those gaudy colours!  Bring
me plain scarlet!"

Gwynydd