[Sca-cooks] Puritans, was: Canadian Friends

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Oct 6 15:02:03 PDT 2001

Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/06/2001 1:15:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
> writes:
>
> << The idea of a Puritan persona could be kinda cool, though I can see two
>  drawbacks: do you really want to wear very simple unrelieved black and
>  white for your SCA career? >>
>
> Actually..the Puritans wore many colors.  All solids, and mostly
> "neutrals"..but they ran the gamut from tan to dark brown...with yellows and
> such.  The sorts of dyes that we would find "naturally".  (and the dyers know
> what THAT means!)   Simple styles in simple colors..but not "all black, all
> the time".

Ok, so I was overreaching for a point. But I don't think you'll find a
Puritan in an Elizabethan with pearls and lace and... you know.

I understand that they did have colored dyes, but that they were 'sad'
colors- 'sad' dyes are a little muddier and deeper toned, IIRC from the
addition of iron to the dyebath. I'm sure one of the dying folks on the
list can elaborate. However, this is why their clothes were referred to
as 'sad'- not because they were depressed.

I wouldn't be able to take it- give me orange! and red! and bright
yellow! None of these muted colors for me! Woo-hoo!

'Lainie
a very colorful SLug!