[Sca-cooks] And now- for something completely different!- rose hips!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 8 21:43:47 PDT 2001

'Lainie asked:
> I have been eyeballing the roses out front, and there's probably a dozen
> or more fat, juicy-looking rose hips on the straggly old-fashioned roses
> in front of the dining room window (Regina could tell what kind they are
> but she's not home to ask). I've been thinking that they aren't enough
> to really do anything with, but maybe enough to experiment with. What
> does one do with rose hips?

Are all of the roses now rosehips or are there some rose petals left?
There are some recipes and things to do with both rose petals and rosehips
in this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
cook-flowers-msg  (78K)  2/23/01    Cooking with flowers. Medieval
flower dishes
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cooking-flowers-msg.html

If you have rose petals, perhaps even those you wouldn't want to eat, you
could make rosary beads out of them.
In the RELIGION section:
rosaries-msg      (52K) 12/ 8/00    Period rosaries and their use.
Making rose
                                       beads.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/rosaries-msg.html

These files might also be of interest:
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel del Cavallo.
                                       (medieval roses).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/roses-art.html
rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It's uses. Sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rose-syrup-msg.html
rose-water-msg    (34K) 11/27/00    Where to buy. How to make.
Rose-water uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/rose-water-msg.html

The following is from the cook-flowers-msg file. Not necessarily period,
but perhaps of interest anyway:

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net