[Sca-cooks] And now- for something completely different!- rose hips!

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Tue Oct 9 07:20:21 PDT 2001

At 09:20 AM 10/9/01 -0400,Jadwiga said something like:
>Not having seen rose hips is a common phenomenon, even in the SCA. The
>other weekend I was packing up my stuff for the Celtic Classic demo (I do
>a scratch'n'sniff herb display) and put in the rose hips, even though I
>thought they might be boring. I got more comments and questions from
>SCAdians and mundanes alike about the rose hips than about anything else!
>
>Thank you, Adamantius, for the Rose Hip sauce recipe. Anybody else got
>some good rose hip recipes? I got some beautiful hips from my herb shop
>and want to use them ASAP.
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Many years ago we served a Scandinavian dinner for Calafian Anniversary.
One of the items we served was a rosehip soup. It went out with the final
course, and many thought that was the dessert!!  The soup is VERY easy to
make,and tastes undescribably wonderful.

Rosehip Soup (Nyponsoppa)

Makes 6-8 servings
1 quart fresh rosehips or 3.5 cups dried ones
2 quarts water
For 1 quart of rosehip pulp: 1-2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon potato flour
1/4 cup almonds
*Rinse the rosehips. Crush dried hips. Boil in water till soft.
*Press through a colander. Measure the pulp and dilute with water if
necessary. Bring the pulp to a boil and add sugar. Add more sugar if it is
too tart.
*Mix potato flour with some cold water. Thicken the soup while you stir and
bring to a boil. Add blanched and shredded almonds.

I don't think we used potato flour, it was probably corn-starch, .. but ..
you're a cook!! Substitute!!

Regards,
Maggie MacD.