[Sca-cooks] viking history

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Tue Oct 9 05:27:43 PDT 2001

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir schrieb:

> Vara wrote:
> > Lewis Chess set dated at roughly 12-13 centruy, At the VERY latest
> > Norweigan king Magnus Barelegs is generally credited with the last Viking
> > raid on mainland Britain in largs in 1263
>
> Sure about that? King Magnús berfættr was killed in Ireland on 24 August,
> 1103 (born 1073) so either the date is wrong or another king was involved.
> Hákon gamli (the Old) was king of Norway in 1263 - until 15th Dec, that is,
> then he died and his son Magnús lagabætir took over. I've never heard about
> either of them raiding Britain.

Either way, would you really consider a martitime
raid on the English coast in the 12th or 13th
century 'Viking'? I mean, when the French raided
the Cinque Ports in the hundred years war we
don'rt usually view that as a continuation or late
case of Ripuarian Frankish raiding. I'd guess (I
might be totally off base as I haven't studied
Scottish or Scandinavian history at all past
around 1000) that this is a case of naval warfare
as practised by many powers of the age.

(then again, the same has been said of many Viking
raids, so...)

Giano