[Sca-cooks] viking history

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Oct 8 18:07:29 PDT 2001

Vara wrote:
> Lewis Chess set dated at roughly 12-13 centruy, At the VERY latest
> Norweigan king Magnus Barelegs is generally credited with the last Viking
> raid on mainland Britain in largs in 1263

Sure about that? King Magnús berfættr was killed in Ireland on 24 August,
1103 (born 1073) so either the date is wrong or another king was involved.
Hákon gamli (the Old) was king of Norway in 1263 - until 15th Dec, that is,
then he died and his son Magnús lagabætir took over. I've never heard about
either of them raiding Britain.

Nanna