[Sca-cooks] Marrow

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 10 18:22:25 PDT 2001

The problem is genus Cucurbita is of New World origin.  The Cucurbita
replaced the Langenaria, or bottle gourds, on European tables beginning in
the 16th Century.

The OED places the first use of marrow as referring to a cucurbit in 1816.
Thus pre-17th Century cooking references to marrow are almost certainly
referring to bone marrow.

Bear