[SCA-Cooks] Women's Rights in Afghanistan Petition to the UN

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 11 11:18:41 PDT 2001

>>> While I agree in sentiment with this, PLEASE understand that
>>> not all "petitions" are false or hoax's. Point in case, I know
>>> of a group called RAWA (Revolutionary Association of Women of
>>> Afghanistan - http://rawa.fancymarketing.net/) and am involved
>>> with their cause.

I agree with you, and they are listed in the Snopes.com article as a legitimate group promoting the betterment of women in Afghanistan.  I figured people would read the article and find out about them, which is why I did not include them in my messages.

My message remains:  Check out ALL chain letters before you send them on, especially the petitions, urban legends, and so on.  Snopes.com is but one of many sites that give excellent information and background on such things.

And if you want to REALLY help, locate one of the legitimate groups and find out what you CAN do - which doesn't include sending out chain letters to nowhere.  I see that the RAWA petition (at http://www.rawa.org/cgi-bin/dcguest/dcguest.cgi for those who want to sign something) is webpage-only so the signatures are collected in one place instead of scattered about the Internet.  They say that "16263 + 9122 Supporters have signed this petition" which means it's getting to be large enough to be noticed.

Kiri, you might want to send this information back to your friend.  I am sure she means well, but I will bet that she didn't check it out either, because she probably received it from an old and trusted friend.

                             ---= Morgan